Friday, May 23, 2008

First UN Braille Stamp


Wow, the UN is issueing its first Braille stamp this June. Although this is not the first and certainly not the least Braille stamp issued around the world, I am pretty surprised to see it coming.

Only one stamp out of the 6 stamps set will be embossed with raised Braille characters.

The stamp will be issued by the NY office. The Braille characters spell the word "UN" and I am going to touch the words and pretend I know Braille. :-P

According to Wikipedia - Louis Braille, born  4 January 1809 in France, was the inventor of braille, a system of reading and writing used by people who are blind or visually impaired. As a small child, Braille was blinded in an accident; as a boy he developed a mastery over that blindness; and as a young man – still a student at school – he created a revolutionary form of communication that transcended blindness and transformed the lives of millions. After two centuries, the braille system remains an invaluable tool of learning and communication for the blind, and it has been adapted for languages worldwide.  

5 comments:

Eric Contesse said...

Hello !
I'de be very happy to receive from you a new UN cover, with the French flag or other recent UN stamps :-)
I hope you had received my French cover I sent to you a few months ago ?
I like your blog's new layout !
Regards
Eric

Stamp Mountain Stamp Sea said...

Hi Eric: Thanks for your note. Yes I've received your beautiful cover. Thank you. I'll send you a cover in the near future.

James said...

Hello!
I guess you can't find my country's flag. R.O.C. or Taiwan, whatever. Hope someday, we can join in UN again.

omari013 said...

Hello,
I like the 6 stamps about Braille.I can send you the issue of Braille of Algeria if you can make the same with this issue.
Please visit my blog about Braille:www.timbrelouisbraille.blogspot.com

Balkanstamp said...

This issue are made from many countries around globe - it is one very important in every way - in the case that someone still need it from Czech, Slovak, Serbia and all ex-Yugoslavia countries, just contact me by mail.

best regards to all
Milco